LANIVET - Heritage

Here are a selection of treasures that you will find in and around our church.

Cross

Cross

Cornish wheel stone, C10th, marks the geographical centre of Cornwall. Click on the picture for a link to a rather mysterious tale!

Stone

Stone

Pillar stone, C5th/6th, coped stone (stele), with part of an inscription ‘Annicu fil’, uncovered near the south porch.

Hog Grave

Hog Grave

Rare hogback grave of coped stone, C10th/11th , with key pattern markings.

Glass

Glass

Medieval glass, remnants at the top of the windows, behind the organ.

Abbey

Abbey

Nearby is St Benet's, a Benedictine monastery. It was founded as a lazar house in 1411 and, during the 15th century, a chapel with a tower and a longhouse were built. The building work was not complete by 1430; it is mentioned in a document of 1535.

Panda

Panda

During WW2 pandas were moved from London to Whipsnade Zoo. Bamboo was planted and grown in Lanivet specifically to be taken to the zoo to feed the evacuee pandas.

Window

Window

Plaque

Plaque